Monday, December 31

Receptive

"Receptive"
12" x 12"
Oil on wrapped canvas
Although, seemingly, this rose did nothing but sit in front of me tonight, she was, in fact, receptive to all of my senses — being adored through sight, being smelled, being touched, and yes, even being tasted.  As my last painting of the year, she was thoroughly enjoyed. 

I purchased seven canvases from a particular manufacturer this week. When I blocked in this rose today, I stopped painting and went back to the store to buy twenty-eight more. The surface is so receptive to paint, the way I love to apply it. Painting this rose was a joyful experience!  I look forward to many more evenings like this ... with great joy!

Carol

Dailypaintworks.com
Dailypainters.com
My Gallery
Brushstrokes@comcast.net

7 comments:

  1. A slow and satisfying piece!
    Arguably your best piece ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful.at a first galce, I thought it was a watercolour, it's so delicate.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS wonderful, isn't it?
      Carol is known for her roses, and this one in particular just makes you want to bury your nose in it, doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. WOW! beautiful work, Carol. Quite brilliant!
    So what type of canvas was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, indeed. You do have to wonder where the inspiration for such beautiful work comes from, don't you?

      Delete
    2. Julie, the canvas is from Michael's craft store. It's their house brand of Artists's Loft canvas in a pack of seven 12"x12" canvases for $15, on sale. Normally this canvas is coarse. However, the day I bought my first pack the fabric looked to be finer than before. When I blocked in the rose painting above, it flowed so smoothly, I stopped mid-stroke and went to purchase more from the same store, from the same shipment. It may have been a fluke, or a manufacturing error, that they used a finer grade of cotton duck instead of canvas, but I took advantage of it by purchasing 35 of them. There will be no canvas pattern in my photos, or the moire pattern either.

      I also routinely, lightly sand my canvases and panels to knock down the nubs and spurs of residual gesso. I'm tickled to have these pieces to paint on for the next few months. I'm delighted with my purchase.

      Delete
  4. Unbelievable how real those drops of water look!! You're the best!!!

    ReplyDelete