Tuesday, February 5

Spathe & Spike

"Spathe & Spike"
12" x 12"
Oil on wrapped canvas

The mostly white, singular petal of a calla lily is called a spathe. It lovingly wraps around the pistil, which in this species is called a spike. If you recall from past posts, I've admitted to being partial to petals that whorl, like rose and dahlia petals do. But this spathe puts a new spin on my affection for twirling petals. 

Here is number two in my series of calla lilies. I love the subtle color changes, the sweeping curves and the sudden burst of colour.

Carol

Dailypaintworks.com
Dailypainters.com
My Gallery
Brushstrokes@comcast.net

1 comment:

  1. These paintings are serene and soothing and all around terrific! Would you share with us your method for the softness of the image?

    ReplyDelete