Monday, February 27

Flowers and Cock's Comb

"Flowers and Cock's Comb" 
I wakened from a nap on the rattan sofa in my studio.  My husband had turned on an up-light on the table next to me. The undersides of the flowers and the life-sized resin rooster were fascinating in my dream state. 

The painting is very soft-edged.  It's one of my most successful edge paintings to date, BUT it doesn't show that way in a photo!  The camera and the eye see it so differently.  The eye sees the multiple levels of color and depth. The camera chooses a level and documents it.  It's also very difficult to photograph with respect to the texture on this hardboard panel. It makes for a glittery surface, especially with the low key values of this piece.  So I scanned it!

And just to keep things interesting, I have another low key painting on the same board to post tomorrow.  Same problems, same solution—scan it.

Oh, just come see it in person. I'll put on the water for tea.
Carol

Dailypainters.com
Dailypaintworks.com
My DPW Gallery
Brushstrokes@comcast.net

2 comments:

  1. I love your colors and soft harmony in this Carol. A beautiful mood has been established by using a low key format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I was intent on using rich colors and soft edges from the onset, and it seems to have worked.

      Delete