Friday, October 25

Memories of West

"Memories of West"
7" x 4"
Pastel on sanded paper





















I painted away from home today. I saw a reference to a subject similar to this so I drew it and painted it from memory. I love the prickly texture of the cactus and the surroundings, too.  It was a fun one to do. 

As usual, this one started on a piece of 140 pound D'Arches French Watercolor paper that I sanded until it felt like suede. I toned the paper with a layer of a burgundy and a layer of cobalt and sanded them into the sueded finish. I brushed it off and then drew a rough sketch of the cactus, then put in my darks.

Carol

Dailypainters.com
Dailypaintworks.com
Brushstrokes@comcast.net

2 comments:

  1. "I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed because I thought, Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert."
    -- Demetri Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demetri's a funny man, but I'm a sucker for humorous wordsmiths.

      Delete